News, views and contacts from the global Water industry
 

Suez Environnement, SPML Infra win $95m water supply contract in India

15 November 2012

water supply

Paris-based Suez Environnement (SEV) and Indian infrastructure company (SPML) have received a $95m contract to improve water supply services in the Malviya Nagar district of New Delhi, India.

The 12-year contract has been awarded by New Delhi's water management authority Delhi Jal Board (DJB) to the consortium led by SEV with 74% stake and SPML with the remaining 26%.

Slated to start by the end of December 2012, the project will include renovation of 100km of the existing 200km pipeline, and construction of 26km of extensions.

Under the contract, SEV will ensure a continuous water supply to residents of the area, who currently receive water only for three to eight hours a day.

In addition, the company will establish a call centre to improve customer service, perfect the billing process, set up customer agencies to improve proximity, and manage requests and complaints efficiently.

Network performance will be increased and water losses will be reduced from current 77% to 15%.

During the first two years of the contract, Suez Environnement will replace all water meters and connect 50,000 people to the network.

Suez Environnement CEO Jean Louis Chaussade said the contract is an encouraging step to develop public-private partnerships in India and shows the current energy in the market.

Degremont, a water treatment subsidiary of Suez in India, received a contract in July from DJB, to build and operate a wastewater treatment plant in Delhi for 11 years.


Image: Suez Environnement (SEV) and Indian infrastructure company (SPML) will improve water supply services in the Malviya Nagar district of New Delhi, India. Photo: Pemanducomm.