China is one the world’s largest manufacturers of electronics and the largest consumer of semi-conductor products, accounting for around 40% of global consumption.
Many of the leading international semi-conductor companies have transferred production to China, making the country a key link in the international industrial chain.
In 2014, sales growth in the integrated circuit (IC) industry had been estimated to exceed 18%, with an industry size of more than 250 billion Yuan.
Wastewater treatment system
The wastewater produced during semi-conductor fabrication process must be carefully handled to avoid harming the environment.
Verderflex® hose pumps are predominately used in the dosing process to treat wastewater. The source of wastewater can be divided into three categories: manufacturing wastewater, drainage from Ultrapure water-based manufacturing and washing exhaust.
When classified by type of contaminants, it can be divided into: acid-alkali wastewater, wastewater containing fluoride, cyanide wastewater, grinding wastewater and heavy metal wastewater.
The most widely adopted method in wastewater treatment is chemical precipitation, which uses chemicals to react with dissolved ions to produce indissoluble sediments. The treatment of wastewater containing fluorine involves calcium ions reacting with fluoride ions, creating calcium fluoride precipitate, which is then removed.
To reduce the residual concentration of fluorine ion, calcium concentration can be increased to achieve the expected treatment effect. The Verderflex® VF range of industrial hose pumps is widely used in this application for dosing lime, calcium chloride and similar agents.
Advantages of using VF peristaltic hose pumps include:
- The abrasive nature of lime creates continual wear problems for progressing cavity pumps, leading to on-going high-stator replacement costs and frequent maintenance downtime
- Lime is of relatively high viscosity, usually too viscous for diaphragm pumps, causing them to clog, resulting in continual maintenance requirements
- Verderflex pumps have a linear flow-speed characteristic, ideal for feedback control systems, allowing precise control of the chemicals being dosed, minimising chemical useage
- Verderflex pumps have a smooth liquid passage, there are no opportunities for product to settle and the peristaltic action keeps product in suspension rather than allowing settlement
- Verderflex peristaltic pumps are designed for ease-of-use, reduced downtime and low ownership costs