An industrial wastewater treatment company required a cost-effective solution to pumping polyelectrolyte.
The plant engineers approached Verderflex distributor Global Pumps Australia for a solution to the following problems:
- Existing helical rotor pumps were expensive to run and maintain
- The replacement pump would have to be able to transfer liquid polymer, which is a thick, viscous liquid mixed with a 30% kerosene (hydrocarbon) carrier
- The pump had to be compatible with the client’s existing system
- The hose would have to last a minimum of three months
Global Pumps analysed the customer’s current systems and the Verderflex peristaltic Dura hose pump was selected for the following reasons:
- Peristaltic pumps have a low-shear operation, ideal for shear-sensitive products such as polymers
- Able to handle viscous liquids
- Good metering / dosing capability with ±5% accuracy
- Easy to service with only one wearing part, the hose, when compared with a helical rotor, which has a stator, rotor, mechanical seal and more
- The Dura provides longer hose life than conventional hose pumps
Verderflex’s Dura hose pump has now been operated by the client for more than one year. The customer has reduced their process downtime, improved their operational efficiency and reduced their overall maintenance cost since moving to peristaltic pumping technology.